Midnight Pearls 3

Friday, May 28, 2010

Carrie On

Regardless of the location, a fashion blog is not complete without the mentioning of Sex and the City. Since I'm in Sweden, I'm not getting all dolled up for the premier. I remember when the first movie came out. I was in Santa Cruz, California. Everyone was decked to the nines, swarming the movie theater downtown. I remember friends saying, "I'm going to watch it just for the fashion!"

Sarah Jessica Parker has shaped fashion. Carrie's opening line of the movie Sex and the City is "Every year, twenty-something women come to New York searching for two Ls: Labels and Love."

One of my sweet (and smokin' hot)friends, Marian Jordan, and author of "Sex and the City: Uncovered" said it best on her recent blog post:
Although I’m pretty sure the screenwriter had no intention of writing a profound statement about the state of women’s souls, regardless of his intention, he nailed it. Young women today are indeed on a search, at times a desperate search, for labels and love. Trust me, I know from personal experience.
Forget about Dior, Channel, or Prada, women are anxiously pursuing a bigger label than any of these names, one that defines them, tells them who they are, and what they are worth. This label is not found on the latest must-have handbag or pair of designer jeans, the label that women are really searching for is one that covers their hearts and reads “Loveable,” “Treasured” and “Adored.”
And let’s be honest, women are flat-out looking for a love… one that makes them feel whole, accepted and complete. This quest for love transcends dating relationships, friendships and even marriage, because even when all of these are present, there is still an ache, emptiness, and a hole in the soul that isn’t filled. So, the search continues…
My first book, Sex and the City Uncovered, is all about this search. The search each one of us makes for “labels and love” and uncovers the solution to our quest by pointing us to a life defined by and filled by the love of God in Jesus Christ.
Since Sex and the City Uncovered was first published in 2007, I have spoken to thousands of young women across the nation at Redeemed Girl Ministries’ Girls’ Night Out events. At these events, I tell my story of “looking for love in all the wrong places,” and how I, too, bought into the allure of the Sex and the City lifestyle, only to find more heartbreak, shame, and emptiness as a result.

I HIGHLY recommend Marian's book - I've read it a few times now and given it to dozens of women. She raises a great question that even I must continually ask myself. What and where does my love for fashion stem from? We all know that phrase, "therapy shopping." It's been a BAD day, and many of us medicate with shopping. In some ways we treat shopping and labels as if they were gods. That might sound crazy. But we look to them to meet needs, to make us feel better, to bring confidence and beauty, to impress others. We look to labels to satisfy. But do they REALLY satisfy. Why am I still unsatisfied a week later, with a closet full of clothes? Why is it that I NEVER HAVE ENOUGH? Trends are always changing, and it's an endless cycle of wants and needs. If taken too far, this search for satisfaction is exhausting. When are we at peace, and the search is over?

I agree 100% with Marian in her book. We were created to worship - we WILL worship. Is what we're worshiping really delivering? I believe we were created beautifully by God to worship Him, a beautiful God. Sadly, we can agree we fall short of worshiping God - we go to other things to find satisfaction, joy, peace, that ultimately can only be met by our Creator. We become a slave to what we worship. I've had to learn that it's not the labels I worship as I'm shopping - but the beautiful creation of fashion that points to an EVEN MORE beautiful God. To me, fashion is a reflection of the beauty of God. Fashion doesn't receive the glory - the ultimate Designer does. Life is worship for me. As I stand astounded by the beauty of a pair of heels - it points me to God. Call it crazy, but it's a greater purpose, meaning, and fulfillment that shoes, bags, and dresses can NEVER fully deliver.

My rant is over. Go watch the movie. Better yet, read Marian's book "Sex and the City: Uncovered."

No comments:

Post a Comment