Midnight Pearls 3

Friday, May 28, 2010

CUBUS and the difficulty of learning new stores



One of the most fun things about this adventure is learning about each of the stores - what do they sell, how do they market, and most importantly WHO is their audience. For example, let's play word association. When I say Abercrombie, one thinks high school. When I say Talbots, I think MOM. When I say Urban Outfitters, I ask how long do I have to shop...we forget that we just KNOW the character of our stores in America. I don't have that luxury in Sweden, but it's so fun to LEARN the character! Let me put it another way. As a size zero, there's embarrassment that occurs when you realize somehow you've ventured off into the plus size section of a department store. I'm working from scratch here trying to learn the stores - and it's a bit more challenging than it seems!

Cubus through me off. Their is a disconnect between the image depicted on the website and what's going down in the store. The website has models that looks to be in the 20-30 age bracket, however the store screams teeny-bopper. I almost wasn't convinced I had the right website! As I was perusing the store, it appeared there wasn't much to offer - but the way the clothes are worn on the website - TOTALLY different. I was disappointed that items I REALLY liked on the website were definitely NOT in the store! (I wouldn't have missed them!)

I did score a sweet ruffled one shoulder tank that was only 3$!!! I decided that I was losing money by NOT purchasing something so cute and dirt cheap! Such a steal!

If any Swedes would like to chime in on the target audience of Cubus - I welcome any and all thoughts!





Here's some info I learned from their website:
Cubus is a large chain in Scandinavia reaching Norway, Sweden, Poland, Latvia, and Germany. Their mission is "to promote fashionable, high quality clothes at reasonable prices." Cubus has actually only been in Sweden since 2004 but originally started in 1966 in Sandnes. Headquarters are now located in Oslo. They are currently owned by the Varner Group...which I'm planning on researching who and what this group is! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Hey JT. You are right, spending the summer in Sweden is a gift... Enjoy! About the Talbots thing though... I gotta say, give it another look. Some of the chicest thing coming out of the brand will be hitting the stores just in time for your return in the Fall. But here's a sneak peek...
    http://www.talbots.com/online/pearlsofwisdom/look_book.jsp?intcmp=20091119_newnoteworthy_leftnav1_lookbook

    ReplyDelete